Monday, September 13, 2010

Cuddle Bug

Katarina is my little cuddle bug. She loves to be held, especially by Mama, and I certainly love having a baby (even though she doesn't sleep well at night yet). She can sit up on her own now, and she enjoys grabbing and shaking and chewing her toys, especially if her big sisters or I play with her.
She likes experimenting with cause and effect, both by pulling toys that respond with noise and lights (such as her play gym or swing) and by dropping toys for us to pick up. Baby Kati is fascinated with her toes and fingers (and ours as well). She is also amused when I pretend to eat her fingers.
Yesterday morning, I was lying next to her and playing with her, and she kept reaching for my face. Each time she touched my mouth, she said "Mmmmmm-bbbbb." Then she paused and pressed her hand to my lips again, saying "Oh-mmm." I laughed as I recognized that she was trying to make the sound I make when I pretend to eat her fingers. I opened my mouth and playfully chomped on her little hand, which made her giggle, pleased with herself for successfully conveying her desire. It's such fun to be able to interact with her like that!
Kätchen is interested in eating, at least when we are eating. She doesn't care for the rice cereal we have offered her, though.
Yesterday at lunch, out of nowhere, Bella exclaimed, "Opa!" Gabi responded with "Opa!" Katarina then said, "Ooohhh-puhhh." I guess Katarina's "first word" is Greek! Gabi especially loves to make words out of Katarina's babbling sounds.
At the beginning of August, we drove to Texas for my family reunion. Gabi and Bella have been talking about Mama Marcia (their great-grandmother, my father's mom). At one point, Bella announced, "Mama Marcia lives in the other Texas." Gabi and I were confused, so she explained, "Gramma Jane and Grampa live in one Texas, and Mama Marcia lives in the other Texas." Well, Texas is a really big place...

Here Gabi and Bella are sitting with cousins Katelyn (seen in 2008 with Bella here) and Bryn (seen with Gabi last year). They played so well together all weekend. We didn't have my nice camera, though.
And, finally, here are pictures of the big sisters playing in their room. They love sharing a room (since I turned Bella's old room into Kati's nursery); however, they keep each other up late chatting and giggling hours past bedtime.
The girls lined up chairs and stuffed animals for an audience,
and Bella is performing in a "show."
Bella playing with her new PlayDoh ice cream parlor

8 comments:

  1. :) What fun girls you have Lissa...and I esp. got excited to see Katarina using the purple blanket...yay! I really hope we get to come visit all of you soon...I'm having LR family withdrawals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word 'opa' means grandpa in Dutch and German! :D (...and 'oma' would stand for grandma.) Your kid's first word wasn't Greek then, but 'echte' Germanic. ;) Nice tots by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous: Thank you for the German lesson. However, my girls were specifically cheering "Opa!" like they learned at the Greek Food Fest, and hence, as my five-year-old pointed out to me at the time, it was Greek. I am amazed at how well she can keep all the foreign words she learns straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, true. Kids about their age usually absorb new words and phrases like a sponge. Well, no wonder then, that it’s considered best to introduce them to foreign languages (be it French, Spanish, German or any other language of choice) from the possibly earliest age. You could even try that out with your girls …provided you haven’t already started (perhaps even years ago, since as I learnt you’re half-Filipino family, then perhaps dad, grandparents and some of your extended family practices Tagalog with your kiddies on a daily basis). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are those not the bestest pictures of these girls. Of course, lolo always knows best. We will take you up on that advice of constantly introducing them to Tagalog words as they really have been soaking Tagalog words we have been using like anak, butiki etc. Lolo and lola are certainly part of their vocabulary one that they know the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...speaking of introducing kids to Tagalog, have you already heard about little Julia & her 'ate'? :)

    You really have to see this! ->
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ciantella#p/u/5/aHlWYOgqbqA

    Fabulous (considering the girl has no real Filipino background)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and speaking of Katarina's "first words," I forgot that she repeated me at the end of July. Picking up the phone too late, I said, "Hello? Hellooo?" Then Katarina (at 4 ½ months old) said, "Eh-oh? Ohhhh?"

    ReplyDelete