Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Six Months Old

Almost two weeks ago, Katarina turned 6 months old. On that day, Michael and I took her to Chicago to hang out with our old college friends over Labor Day weekend.
Today, our baby had her six-month well check-up, where all her measurements were 50th percentile for her age. She weighs 14 lbs 14 oz, she measures 25 7/8 inches long, and her head circumference is 16.5 inches.
Poor little Kati also got three shots and an oral vaccine. I know that vaccinations are perhaps the greatest achievement of modern healthcare and have vastly improved our society's health. I am thankful that I no longer have to fear Smallpox or Polio; I do not have to sit helpless and watch so many children fight these diseases that might kill them or might leave them paralyzed. I am also aware that the ill-informed parents who refuse vaccinations for their children have allowed Measles (and others) to make a resurgence. I would never dream of depriving my children the health protections afforded by vaccines, but it does not mean that I enjoy looking into her eyes as she feels the pinprick of each shot and cries for me to stop her pain.
Today, Katarina has been feverish, exhausted, and glossy-eyed, but she remained calm and good-natured. I spent extra time cuddling her. Poor baby had a temperature of 102.8 degrees this evening! On top of all that, our air conditioner stopped working - yet again. I called the people we have a maintenance agreement with, and they repaired it for now (with tape), but I am calling the service manager tomorrow to complain. If it takes them until the end of September to fix our A/C, then at that point it isn't very useful. Fortunately, after some Tylenol and a bath (and a properly-cooled house), Kati is feeling much better and just went down to sleep easily. Hopefully she'll sleep well tonight.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful princess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so beautiful! :) I hope she gets well soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that girl is starting to develop her own style just like her 2 sisters. I love her inquisitive look. Her eyes speaks to you more than her words. I can't wait to see her again.

    ReplyDelete